1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
1 red or yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz container of your favorite all-natural tomato sauce
1/2 c roasted red peppers
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
3 – 4 leaves of fresh basil (optional)
1 small butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large skillet, crumble the sausage and brown it, along with the onions & garlic.
- While sausage is browning, cut off the top and ends of the squash and peel it. Quarter the squash, making one vertical cut and then one horizontal cut through the entire squash. Remove the seeds and slice the squash into ¼-inch planks .
- Puree the tomato sauce, red peppers, olive oil, and basil (optional).
- Lightly cover the bottom of a 9x9 oven-safe dish with sauce. (This keeps the squash from sticking.) Add the squash, trying not to overlap the pieces, then spoon on the sausage mixture, followed by the sauce. Repeat until all your ingredients are used up…trying to reserve enough sauce to cover the top of the lasagna.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is bubbly with a crispy, browned top. Right out of the oven, the lasagna may by liquidy. Let it set for approximately 30 minutes before cutting to allow the liquid to dissipate.