4 bacon strips, sliced into 1" pieces
2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
2 lb yams, peeled and cut into large pieces (you can also substitute carrots or squash)
16oz jar of salsa
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
You can use a crockpot or a dutch oven for this recipe; I used a crockpot.
If using a dutch oven, steps 1 – 6 can be done in the dutch oven, then
covered and transferred to a preheated 325˚F for approximately
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook until browned and rendered.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper. Add the roast to the heated skillet and brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown the other side, another 5 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and transfer to crockpot. Add yams to the skillet and toss in fat, to coat.
- Transfer yams to crockpot, lifting roast to set on top of the yams.
- Top the roast with salsa and stock (or water).
- Cook in crockpot on low for 9 hours or until roast is fork tender and easily pulls apart. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your roast and crock pot temperature.)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer roast and yams to a serving platter or plates. Garnish with the reserved salsa.
Yams will be very soft, I usually fork mash them prior to eating.